Monday, January 30, 2012

Move Tube: Learning to Watch Ballet

Today, I want to share one of my favorite online dance resources.  Ballet is pretty to watch, but I like things more when I know what I am watching.  Not just narratively, but technically as well.  Like when you watch ice skating and they explain to you salchows, axels and such.  This column from The Guardian does that.  Luke Jennings picks out ballet videos from YouTube and explains why they are good.  Below, a video from 1966 of Valentina Simukova dancing the pas de deux from The Nutcracker.  Visit his post here to read about her short tragic life, and what makes this video so awesome!

My favorite moment is from 4:15 to 4:30 when she brings her arms down around her partner, all languid and graceful.  Arms are hard y'all.  I've been practicing secretly in front of my mirror and they look so stiff.  I think the hyperextension in my elbows doesn't help the line at all!  I know how to correct this biometric flaw in yoga, but I'll have to figure it out for ballet.


No comments:

Post a Comment